Meeting Minutes


Town Hall, Selectmen’s Meeting Room
Falmouth, MA

Michael Galasso (C), Susan Moran (VC), Christopher Langlais (T), Christopher Simmler (C), Jim Fox, Brooks Bartlett.  Absent:  Christopher Land

Having established a quorum, the chairman called the meeting to order.  



Michael Galasso announced that after 8 years on the board, 6 years of which was Chairman of the Board, that he will not seek nor accept the nomination of Chairman that will occur in January 2018 for the officer nominations.  He feels he and the board under his direction have accomplished their defined mission of 1. To create an on-going cash flow, and 2. To increase the income producing assets.  He will remain on the board during a transitionary period.  It is now time for him to spend more time working on and resolving the affordable housing crisis that exists in our community and in others.  He thanked the board for the opportunity to serve and wished everyone on the board the best for their future endeavors.  Galasso requested that the EDIC dedicate one of the Falmouth Station front benches “in memory” to his mother, with a small engraved plate.


Ron Bonvie,  Principle, Bonvie Homes, Developers of Southport, Mashpee, MA

  • Introduced Torey Spilman, Senior VP of Business Development and Communications.
  • Ron passed out the map site and brochure for the Southport Community.
  • In 2013 they were awarded best designed 55+ home in the United Stated.
  • The last section in the development is almost completed.  There are 750 total homes in Southport.  It has 9-hole golf course, a clubhouse, tennis courts, and sprinklers in all homes.
  • Price range of $160K - $450K.
  • Southport generates $2.6M in tax for Mashpee, MA.
  • No children can live in development; hence no children need to use the school system resources.
  • They do not develop in communities that do not embrace their business and development model.
  • Ron has been looking at various sites in Falmouth and would like to develop in Falmouth if welcomed.
  • Bonvie Homes supports and donates to many organizations on the Cape and in Massachusetts.
  • Traffic count in Southport is 1/3 of a normal housing development.
  • Southport has an on-site septic treatment plant - 173K gallons. 
  • He builds houses at all price ranges Low, Mid-Range and High end.
  • Ron managed Southport for 2 years, and now it is managed by a management company.
  • Detached housing communities are greatly in demand, but almost impossible to produce at a reasonable cost to the consumer.       


  • Galasso inquired as to what the EDIC can do to help with discussions with the owners or grant research.
  • Moran, on behalf of the Selectmen advised they were moving ahead to look at options, and are focused on this project.  Said the EDIC has been mentioned in regard to offering assistance with financing or development ideas.
  • Fox offered assistance with development and building.  He thinks it is critical it is done right.

Chris Simmler

  • Chris visited the Kiwi fabrication plant to view materials for the Tech Park Signs.
  • Hopefully Kiwi will be installing in about 2 weeks, before Dec. 25th.
  • Basic landscape with be done prior to installation.  Full design and planting to be done in the spring.
  • Galasso advised there is a grant available from Mass Development, for a revisited master plan for the Tech Park.
  • Jessica Fox to work on obtaining a complete list of the businesses in the Tech Park, for communication purposes.

Lynne Broderick, Chris Simmler

  • Simmler spoke to the Operating Budget he created for the Falmouth Station.  We are close, and should have final numbers soon.  $45 - $50K a year to manage the building.
  • Fox said we need to find a balance on the operating costs re: rent for Peter Pan.  Fox will need a solid operating budget prior to discussing with Peter Pan.
  • Moran suggest we have Cape Light Compact come review the Falmouth Station for an audit.
  • Langlais advised Peter Pan deducted $3,282.62 from their December rent for utility expenses they paid.  Fox says that it will all be reconciled at the end of the year, as Peter Pan is to pay all operating costs.  Moran suggests we don’t wait until the end of the year and advise them of what our operating budget is forecasting to date.  Simmler to draft a letter to Peter Pan to set up a meeting in February and discuss the operating budget and their rent deductions.
  • Broderick reviewed the Trash Disposal quotes she received.  The Board decided to allow Republic to re-quote for consideration along with the other local business quotes.  Galasso requested we consider re-cycling containers with whomever we select for service.
  • Moran inquired if there exist any interest for Solar Trash Receptacles.  Galasso advised very expensive.  Moran suggested we contact the Falmouth Energy Committee or Solid Waste Committee to inquire if there are any grants available for waste disposal activities.
  • As of Dec. 1st, Clipper Landscape is under contractual agreement for the snow maintenance at the Falmouth Station.
  • Yellow lines were painted onto the front and rear steps that are experiencing tripping hazards.
  • The indoor benches were fixed so they will no longer tip over.
  • The bathrooms were re-grouted to remand the mold issue.A quote was presented for replacement of the outdoor lights in parking lot – to LED bulbs.  Galasso suggested researching Solar powered outdoor lights as well.
  • The Mayflower Cleaning Service proposal for reduced winter hours was approved by the Board.
  • Broderick to research into security systems for the Station.
  • Fox spoke to MassDOT and he will need to meet with their State Parking Lot Mgr., as Fox said their guidelines do not match with the EDIC lease.  Simmler to continue to explore the matter with MassDOT.
  • Fox mentioned that the Falmouth Station event with the Falmouth Holiday Stroll was a success.  Bill Nies was thanked for his work on the event.  Bill suggested a trailer to placed near the train platform for storage.  Future events to consider are Arts Alive in June, and the Jazz Stroll in September.  The EDIC will add a website page publicizing the Station is available for rent for various community and private events.
  • Simmler inquired how to begin process on obtaining a café, food cart or some type of food/drink vendor for the spring.  Fox suggested that everyone bring suggestions for events and

Jim Fox
No Update

Chris Langlais  
No update.

Chris Langlais

  • Langlais presented the financials as of November 30, 2017.  Total assets are $1.7M, including $1.1M in real estate, $505K in cash.  
  • Galasso suggested some of the cash is moved into CDs to obtain a better interest rate.
  • Liabilities are AP for $8,052.78. Prepaid items via the Debit Card are $1,318.29.
  • Langlais presented the warrant for $9,371.07.
  • A motion was made by Simmler to approve the warrant.  Bartlett 2nd.  All in favor.  Passed.
  • Langlais advised the draft audit by Roselli & Clark would be started later this month.
  • Langlais presented a draft of the EDIC 2018 budget.  He stated the budget will largely depend on the final Falmouth Station operating budget.

Brooks Bartlett
Bartlett advised the community learned that the survey did not have a good response due to the holidays.  The survey will be redistributed after January 1st.

Michael Galasso

  • Edward Curley, Vice Chair of the Affordable Housing Committee – thanked the EDIC for funding the study.  He inquired as to what’s next: how to encourage develop small 1-2 bedroom affordable units, how to keep multiple dwelling structures affordable, how to promote conversion of single family homes into multiple dwelling units? 
  • 18% of the income restricted units are due to expire in the next 3 years.
  • Wants to know where these study findings will be presented or shared. 
  • Wants to know if the EDIC would consider taking the lead on funding an affordable housing project.  Galasso responded this is part of the mission of the EDIC.
  • Simmler made a motion to accept the Housing Demand Study as the final report.  Bartlett 2nd.  All in favor. Passed.
  • Fox advised that the Planning Board is trying to address the housing issues.  Action items are currently being worked on.  Fox believes the housing study recommendations need to be lead and handled by the Planning Board.  Galasso agreed.  Density (units per acre) is the issue being discussed with the Zoning Board regarding multi-family units.


ISSUE REQUEST TO HIRE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR – Galasso thinks that a PT Executive Director should be hired.  Suggested that the future Chairman to decide on this position.


  • A motion was made by Simmler to accept the November Public Board Meeting minutes.    Langlais 2nd.  All in favor.  Passed.
  • A motion was made by Simmler to approve the October Public Board Meeting minutes.  Langlais 2nd.  All in favor.  Passed.
  • A motion was made by Simmler to approve the October Executive Session Board Meeting minutes.  Langlais 2nd.  All in favor.  Passed. 


A motion was made by Galasso to adjourn the regular board meeting and move to Executive Session.  Each Board Member stated their name and said “Aye”.  All in favor.   Absent: Moran. Passed.

Jim Fox recused himself from the discussion.

January 9, 2018,  8:30am


Our Projects

Falmouth Station Restoration
Rehabilitation of the Historic Falmouth Station located at 59 Depot Avenue in Falmouth.
Read More & View All Projects >


Doing Business in Falmouth

Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI)
Employs approximately 1,200 people, including more than 500 scientists, engineers, ship's crew and technicians.      
View Top Employers in Falmouth >